Thursday, March 8, 2012

What I've Learned OR Reflections on 28...

Today is the last day of my 28th year of life. This morning I woke up and didn't feel any different (maybe I will tomorrow), but on my way to work I started to reflect on things. I've learned a lot this past year as well as over the last 10. I'm definitely happy to be the age that I am. I look back on the last 10 years and reflect with love on the life experiences and things that I've learned along the way....

I've learned to be in the moment. No other time is guaranteed other than the here and now. I cherish the time spent with family and friends so much. You should always act like it's the last time you will ever see someone, who knows it may be. When you live like that it's impossible to have regrets. Say what you want to say, do what you want to do... NOW! Don't wait til it's too late. I like to sometimes almost step out of myself and take it all in. Feel this moment right now, see the people around you and feel the love.

Mi Familia.

I've learned you can't depend on anyone else for your own happiness - it's true and if you believe it, no one can take it away from you either.

I've learned to shut off the autopilot switch. I kind of feel like I went through a time when coasting through life was good enough. I call it autopilot, but it's basically just getting too comfortable. You just kind of coast... This last year especially has consisted of a lot of shutting it off and taking control again. Feels amazing!

I've learned to be real. Not the person that someone else wants me to be. Not the person that agrees with what everyone says. I'm my authentic self. If I don't want to do something, I'm not going to do it. I'm not going to be a yes man. It's my life and I'm in control of my experience.

My authentic self... LOL

I've learned that people change - everyone changes. I've changed, you've changed - it's a fact of life. The ones that mean enough to you will stick around and grow with you. The ones that don't can hit the road. Who knows, maybe someday you'll be on the same road again. I've had that happen this year too... Getting back on the same road. So you never know...

Friends til the end...

I've also learned that it only takes a few friends that you can depend on to get you through the rough spots. I'm all about quality over quantity. All I need is Andy and the few people I can count on to make me happy. Why have friends that stress you out?

A few of favorite girls and a really good time...

I've learned I'm a little too hard on myself and need to soften that... I always think about what more I can do, but seldom reflect on all that I have done already. What other 28 year old has started their own business that is flourishing each year? I'm no Mark Zuckerberg, but still am proud in what I have accomplished! A little pride and self confidence can go a long way.

I think a lot of life is being comfortable in your own skin. You have to like who you are and I'm confident in saying I love the person that I've become.
 
So without further adieu.... I'm off to celebrate Purim at school!
 
Cindy Lyon and I being silly for Purim today...

2 comments:

  1. Okay sister, you have me tearing up now! He he! You are mature beyond your years and even though we have a HUGE age gap between us (I'm OLD!!!), you would never know it. You are so deep and see things so differently than any other 28-29 year old I know who literally ARE 'coasting through life' and still have no clue what direction to go in. Your life will change directions a thousand more times in your life - some changes so small you won’t even realize they are happening, and others so big you will have to take a step back and say 'WHOA! Did I do that?!?'!! I just saw on the news today the girl who invented 'Spanx' who, without ANY advertising, managed to make it on the FORBES list of MILLIONAIRES! You just NEVER know what you can accomplish when you put your heart, soul, blood, sweat and tears into something.
    You are going to go VERY far in your life! And yes, you sometimes have to let old friends go in order to let new people into your life. This happens (sadly) and when a friendship requires too much work, backstabbing and walking on eggshells, it's healthier to let it go and move on without that person. Like I said on FaceBook the other day "With each new person you meet, you are being told something about your purpose in life and what you are here to learn. So, everyone in your life is here for a reason; they're here for you!'
    We cherish our friendship with you and Andy more than you will ever know and we are happy to be a special part of your life.
    So, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my sweet, adorable, smart, happy, energetic, always smiling, on-the-go, honest, and most especially, SINCERE friend! I LOVE LOVE LOVE you so much!
    Maria :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Maria! I love you with all of my heart!

    ReplyDelete