Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Wednesday Obsessions... Or Free Netflix (Kind Of)!

In the summertime my movie watching and book reading goes on overdrive because of the extra free time on my hands. It's been this way since I was in high school. Call me a nerd, but I love being up to date on movies and have old classics under my belt...

OMG so many movies!!!

I bought a Netflix subscription back in 2005, but it kept getting more and more expensive and they would make you wait weeks, some times months for a new release. Andy finally convinced me to stop wasting $25 a month on the DVD's and Blurays that would just sit on our coffee table... sometimes for months...

I remember a few years ago when Shine a Light came out... I had that in my house for a record 3 months... 3 MONTHS!!! I never watched it... I recently did though and it was terrible (I'm just not a Stones freak I guess) but that made me think... I spent $75 for a movie to sit on my coffee table for 3 months! I could have purchased it 4 or 5 times over! I still have the streaming version of Netflix for my Appletv.  It's only $7.99 a month and for whatever reason I can't bring myself to cancel it.

It's been only over the past couple years that I've discovered a new **FREE** way to watch movies.....

Behold the Broward County Public Library System... Or as I like to call it FREE NETFLIX!!!


It's absolutely 100% the most amazing thing ever. Do you have a library card? Great! You're all set to get started! All you need to do is access the Broward County Library Catalog, search for your movie, place a hold and choose which branch to pick it up... Seriously, it's just that simple!!

The Broward County Library Search

The library staff will transfer, pick up and hold the movie for you. You'll get an email when it's ready and all you have to do is drive your pretty little self to the branch, go to the front desk and voila! It's yours for about a week! As a matter of fact 10 can be - 10 is the limit for checking out movies... Not too shabby!

My Holds... Don't Judge

Last year I remember watching What Dreams May Come and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang... Two movies I had wanted to see since I was little... Crazy right? Who goes through childhood without seeing  Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!?!

Of course this system works for any other thing that the library has to offer you too. Of course it could also cost you just a little cash money if you return the movie late. If you want it longer though, you can renew right from the website. When you're done with your item you can also drop it off at any Broward County library and they will return it to its originating branch. They basically do all the work for you!

Sooooo call me a nerd, but I love my free books and movies! Do you have any secrets like this to share? I'm all ears!

2 comments:

  1. Look at you being a little library patron! It's even better when you work at a library. The stuff comes straight to you at work! Brilliant ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely one of the perks my little librarian friend! I love it and you! XO

    ReplyDelete